Living Legacy Statement
A safe space, inspired by Jim Deva’s lifelong passion for freedom of sexuality, gender diversity, and the fight against censorship, where LGBTQ people and allies can meet, share ideas freely, dare to dream, and love unapologetically.
Located in the heart of Vancouver’s Davie Village, next to the rainbow crosswalks at Davie and Bute Streets, Jim Deva Plaza is a community serving gathering space and home to a variety of events and activities.
The plaza is named after Jim Deva, longtime community activist, founder of Little Sister’s Book and Art Emporium, and advocate for Vancouver’s LGTBQ2+ community. Learn more about Jim Deva’s Legacy, his contribution to the community and his commemorative art piece, The Megaphone.
Take part in some great events! Check out all the exciting events planned in the plaza. Lots coming up!
Interested in holding an event in the plaza? Learn more.
Maintenance and stewardship of the space is undertaken through a special partnership between the City of Vancouver and the West End BIA, guided by input from the Plaza Oversight Committee which is comprised of members from the community.
Founding Programming Partners for the plaza are the West End BIA and Hollyburn Properties.
Get here by walking or bicycling
- We are located on the South side of Davie at Bute Street. Look for the rainbow crosswalk!
- Jim Deva Plaza is conveniently located just one block west of the Comox-Helmcken Greenway at Bute Street.
Get here by public transit
- You can either take the 6 from downtown or the C23 from Main Street. Get off at Bute Street. See Translink’s trip planning website for more info.
- There is limited street parking around Jim Deva Plaza. Metered parking along Davie Street is available on a first come first serve basis. Rates are typically $1-$6 per hour.
- There is a 152 space underground parking lot underneath the Upper Deck Restaurant off Davie Street. Rates are $4.00/hr.
- For those with accessibility needs, there is an underground parkade located east of the Plaza on Davie Street, between Bute and Jervis underneath the Sandman Hotel. There is also underground parking on the west side of the plaza off Davie Street with 152 spaces. Rates for both are $4.00 / hr.