The West End BIA is thrilled to launch a ‘Call for Artists’ for its upcoming West End street banner project.
The West End is home to one of the most diverse and densely populated business and residential communities in Vancouver. The three great commercial streets of Davie, Denman and Robson are surrounded by English Bay and Stanley Park, and together make for one amazing neighbourhood.
The WEBIA actively works to brand, promote and revitalize the West End through a myriad of programming and placemaking initiatives in the community, including installation of decorative street banners.
The WEBIA is seeking local artists to assist with the design of our next iteration of banners. Each street has its own unique character and feel, as such the banners should reflect the distinctiveness of Davie, Denman and Robson Streets. Initial conceptual design submissions are being requested for consideration by WEBIA staff and the Maintenance and Beautification Committee. Artists whose submissions are selected will have the opportunity to work with the WEBIA and banner company to finalize and bring their preliminary design concepts to life based on further guidance and technical specifications.
- Designs should be influenced by the natural beauty, uniqueness and diversity of the West End community
- While each street will have a different design, the three streets should have a cohesive look and feel to them
- The WEBIA brand incorporates three distinct colours, which are purple (Davie), blue (Denman) and green (Robson) and should be included as the foundation for each design.
- Designs should identify the specific street, i.e. Davie Village, Lower Davie, Denman or Robson
- Bold colour selections work best for banners and increase longevity. Use of white should be limited or used for outlines
- Simpler designs are preferred, as smaller or intricate details get lost at a distance. (Remember banners will seem much smaller when installed on lamp posts)
- Designs should demonstrate originality and artistic merit, as well as engage and enhance the local/visitor experience in the West End
- Should be tasteful and not contain any inappropriate content or subject matter
- Artists can submit one concept for a particular street or alternatively a complete set of concepts for all three streets
- Call for submissions deadline is April 15, 2022
- Committee selection by April 29, 2022
- Design finalization by May 31, 2022
- Production during June 2022
- Installation during July/August 2022
- Emerging and established local artists from varied mediums and disciplines
- Are able to meet the project requirements and timelines
- Are amenable to being featured on the WEBIA’s website and social media
*Please note that we are an equity seeking organization and encourage submissions from members of the BIPOC and 2SLGBTQAI+ communities, preference given to the latter for the Davie Street banners. We also welcome local West End artist submissions.
- Banners are 32” wide and 60” in height
- Acceptable file formats: Please see accompanying information
- Minimum 300 dpi
- Ensure all text and shapes are vector outlined
- RGB Pantone #
- A one-page resume, as well as a website or social media link to your portfolio of work
- A high resolution image(s) of your proposed design(s)
- A summary description of your proposed design concept and how it connects to the specific commercial street and/or the West End neighbourhood
- Submissions should be emailed to the West End BIA at email@example.com
- More information can be found here.
- Only short-listed artists will be contacted to move forward in the process
- An artist whose design(s) is selected for final production will be compensated with $500.
We thank everyone in advance for their interest in the West End BIA Street Banner Project. If you have any questions, please contact Charlotte Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.696.0144.