WEBIA has been working hard to advocate for our membership, specifically reaching out to senior levels of government to secure immediate business relief in the form of direct grants and other meaningful cash flow support. We have seen good results thus far, including wins on employee wage subsidies and government business loans, but will continue to persevere until this situation has subsided.
We are also currently working with other business organizations to track the economic impact of COVID-19 and are advocating for grants and programs that will benefit our member businesses as well as the overall business community.
Currently both the Clean Team and Goodbye Graffiti are working to keep our neighbourhood clean and graffiti free, while maintaining social distancing protocols.
Supporting WEBIA Businesses
There are many ways to help out WEBIA businesses during this time. Here are a few suggestions to show your support of small and independent restaurants and businesses at a time they need it the most:
- Order delivery from local restaurants or pick up an order via takeout (most restaurants are now doing curbside delivery to minimize contact)
- Purchase gift cards or merchandise
- Practice online shopping
- Subscribe to digital newsletters
- Share photos and engage on social media
- Leave a positive review
- Be kind!
Whether it is a public health issue, natural disaster, or other emergencies, it is important to be prepared and ensure you have an up-to-date business continuity and disaster recovery plan. Here are some other resources to assist you in your planning.
Information and Planning Sources
- Assessment of the local situation — Vancouver Coastal Health
- Assessment of the global situation — World Health Organization
- Government of Canada’s latest information
- B.C. Centre for Disease Control virus update
- Screening Measures at YVR
- Destination BC virus update
- British Columbia Pandemic Provincial Coordinator Plan
- Resources for Canadian businesses (Trade Commissioner Service)
- Support for entrepreneurs impacted by the coronavirus COVID-19 (BDC)
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) – Employment and Social Development Canada (Government of Canda)
- Business Preparedness Checklist COVID-19 (GVBOT)
- Business Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Resources for Small Businesses during COVID-19 (Small Business BC)
- Getting your workplace ready for COVID-19 (World Health Organization )
- PreparedBC: Guide for Small Business (Government of B.C.)
- Crisis Communications Plan (Canadian Chamber of Commerce)
- Business Continuity & Recovery Plan (Canadian Chamber of Commerce)
- Does Your Force Majeure Clause Cover the Coronavirus? (MPI)
- Support for Restaurants (BCRFA)
- COVID-19 resources for foodservice operators (Restaurants Canada)
- Keeping you and your employees safe (CFIB)
Templates and Tools
- PreparedBC: Emergency Plan for Small Businesses (Government of B.C.)
- Webinar: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Managing the impact on global supply chains (EDC)
- Business continuity plan and templates for entrepreneurs (BDC)
- Trudeau promises 75% wage subsidy for businesses hit by coronavirus (March 27, 2020, 9:30 PM)
- VPD works to prevent property crime (March 27, 2020, 8:30 PM)
- B.C releases list of “essential services” during COVID-19 (March 26, 2020, 2:30 PM)
- City of Vancouver increases fines to $50,000 for businesses breaching state of emergency (March 25, 2020, 1:00 PM)
- Vancouver prepares fines and enforcement mechanisms for those ignoring coronavirus precautions (March 25, 2020, 12:45 PM)
- COVID-19 and the western Canadian economy (March 25, 2020, 12:30 PM)
- Support for entrepreneurs impacted by COVID-19 (March 25, 2020, 12:30 PM)
- Canada’s Six Biggest Banks Take Decisive Action to Help Customers Impacted by COVID-19 (March 25, 2020, 12:30 PM)
- BC Government announces $5-billion Economic Action plan to help businesses struggling with COVID-19 (March 25, 2020, 12:30 PM)
- COVID-19 Cabinet created to support business (March 25, 2020, 10:45 AM)
- Where to start? Who to call or email. COVID Recovery (March 24, 2020, 5:45 PM)
- Small Business support from Daily Hive (March 24, 2020, 10:45 AM)
- Order of closure for salons and spas (March 22, 2020, 11:00 AM)
- City shuts down all restaurant table service, closes playgrounds, and creates dedicated COVID-19 task force (March 20, 2020, 4:15 PM)
- Update from Small Business BC (March 20, 2020, 11:30 AM)
- Free Webinar Coping with Business Impacts of COVID-19 (March 20, 2020, 10:30 AM)
Dedicated Number for Immediate Access to Employment Insurance Benefits
The one-week waiting period has been waived for employees who are in quarantine or who are ordered to self-isolate. Employees in quarantine who wish to get the one-week waiting period waived are to call: 1-833-381-2725.
Please don’t hesitate to be in touch with us at email@example.com with any questions, comments or concerns.