West End businesses are slowly beginning to re-open this week and next, in accordance with the BC Provincial Health Office and WorkSafe BC. Each of our businesses are taking the necessary precautions to keep their staff, customers (you!), and the community safe and healthy.
While we are beyond excited that our local favourites are back open for business once again, we as consumers must still take precautions to protect ourselves and our communities to ensure that our hard work is not undone. We all want a summer of beaches, parks, picnics, and patios, and following a few simple steps will guarantee we get to enjoy it all!
Our businesses will be caring for you, please make sure you care for us too. We are all in this together!
How to be Customer of the Month?
- If You Are Sick, Stay Home We love you, but not your germs! Make sure you are staying home if you feel ill, or if you are demonstrating any symptoms of sickness whatsoever. We will be here when you are feeling better!
- Practice Physical Distancing. Ensure that you are giving yourself and others enough space when enjoying our retailers and restaurants. Official guidelines are 2 M or 6 ft between each person or household group. Our businesses will be here to support this, to ensure a safe, healthy atmosphere.
- Wear A Mask. We are all about common courtesy here. If you are heading to a space where physical distancing will be challenging, please wear a non-medical mask. There are many fantastic vendors making these in the West End, we can provide further details upon request.
- Wash Your Hands. Be mindful of others and wash your hands before/after you shop! Use hand sanitizer when you are out-and-about, or if handwashing is not possible.
- Use Debit or Credit. When possible, try to use contactless debit/credit card or Apple/Google Pay when purchasing your items.
- Shop Efficiently. With lines to access storefronts and limited customers allowed inside locations, ensure that you are purchasing what you need in an efficient manner. Everyone else wants to grab their weekend coffee and pastries too!
- Support Your Business Community. Everything helps. From enjoying delicious take-out, to buying a bottle of wine, getting a new hair cut, or renting a bike to ride Stanley Park, our local businesses need your support to get back on their feet.
- Respect the Rules. Regulations may vary between industries and individual businesses. We recommend looking into WorkSafeBC’s industry-specific guidelines here, and then checking in with businesses as needed, to see if they have additional requirements.
- Just Be a Good Person. Everybody is in this situation together and can be experiencing a wide variety of emotions at any given point in time. Let’s all be understanding and supportive of one another as we re-open. There will be a learning curve over the next few weeks, and the more kindness we can show, the better things will be. Even a simple “thank you” to a busy business owner could make their day.
For more Health and Safety Guidelines, please visit the following:
Be sure to show the businesses on the block some love while practicing social distancing and demonstrating safe behaviors!
All of us here at the West End Business Improvement Association would like to thank our amazing businesses and our local community for their support as we have navigated this first chapter in our new normal.
Our neighbourhood has come out of this stronger and far more resilient than any of us hoped, and we are blown away by the generosity, spirit and love we’ve seen displayed by all.
In the words of the now infamous Dr. Bonnie Henry, let us all “Be Kind, Be Calm and Be Safe” as we move ahead into a brighter future together and open with care.